The flower bed took shape after the pile of woodchip had been used up around the garden. The woodchip had been in a pile for two years so the weeds would be under control and so we decided to throw together a flower bed. People offered us plants until the flower bed was overflowing.
I think you’ll agree the style is slightly boho but it works. It is a small haven within the garden to attract pollinating insects.
This year we saw a raised bed being installed into the polytunnel. Community gardeners went along and collected horse manure from a friend with horses. We managed to get enough to fill up one side of the polytunnel.
Roy filled the polytunnel up with seedlings of lettuce and kale and sewed some radish seed. Henry planted out some tomatoes and peppers at the far end of the polytunnel.
We had harvests of lettuce, radish, kale and now have the first signs of aubergine poking through the blossoms. When the first lot of lettuce was all harvested we replaced it with cut and come again lettuce. Some spinach has now been sown in place of the radish.